Yesterday Isaac went to his follow-up appointment with his pediatrician. We changed from a family practitioner to a pediatrician due to this incident and tried somebody that a doctor at CMH mentioned. When we met Dr. Austin we realized that she goes to our church and it was an overall great experience. So Isaac is now at the 85th percentile for height at 27 1/2 inches and the 25th percentile for weight at 15 lb 10 oz. We are pretty proud of his weight considering he didn't eat for about a week and a half. She said his lungs sounded clear and he appears to be completely healthy. She reiterated what the doctors at CMH said - that Isaac is healthy, there is no reason to believe that getting a cold/sickness would bring on another hemorrhage, that there is no reason to think he will have another episode, and that it would be nice to not have him end up with RSV until he is recovered from the insult to his lungs from the ventalator and hemorrhage. Apparently it can take up to one year for an infant to totally recover from this, but can be sooner. We also got the go ahead to try some new foods. Isaac has been an all-star over the last week eating his cereal (we started working on this at Thanksgiving), so now we are venturing into the world of vegetables. A picture above shows his response to green beans :) . Strangely enough he kept opening his mouth every time I offered a spoonful of green beans, and also each time made a full body convulsion in response.
Kevin went back to work on Monday, but is still making sure to take time off to come to the appointments with us. Thankfully he hasn't been too overwhelmed upon his return to work and has had amazing support from his coworkers. Isaac and I are doing okay at home. He is still really struggling with naptimes. He seems very resistant to napping and has full out hysterics when I try to rock him or lay him in his crib for daytime naps. This is concerning to me because I don't know how much is behavioral or emotional. It's also really hard to calm him down if I do let him cry. So far we've had no luck with letting him cry himself to sleep since we returned home. Since we've started adding more foods in (on Monday), he's been falling asleep during his morning bottle, but still refuses afternoon naps. Considering that we basically had to hold him for 3 days straight because he was crying so much at the hospital, I'm guessing that can throw a little guy off for awhile.
Personally, I'm still really struggling with everything that has happened. While I know that God's hand was over every piece of this situation and that he made sure Isaac made it through safely, I am still totally broken hearted. Especially since there were zero precursors to the hemorrhage, I can't help but be overwhelmed by the idea that it might happen again. It's very confusing to look at this totally healthy baby, to be so overjoyed that he is doing well and we're having so much fun together, and at the same time feel so worried about him and know what he's been through over the last three weeks. What a rollercoaster! Thanks for all your continued prayers and support.
Wednesday, January 16, 2008
Follow-up With Doctor
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Julie: I was so happy to hear that Isaac is doing so well. I logged on to check that today was his appt and happy that you've already posted a report. He looks good in green beans. I believe that trust in his return to health will come with time. I will keep praying for your peace of mind.
Love, Mom
Julie and Kevin,
Great to hear Isaac is feeling better! Hope thing return to normal soon.
Love you!
Phyllis and Ellick
Post a Comment