Tuesday, January 01, 2008

A 24-hr Whirlwind

The last day has been crazy. They moved Isaac out of the PICU yesterday around 5:00. Unfortunately, he was due for some meds & food just as they moved him and he missed them because of it. Once we got upstairs to the floor, they tried to feed him fast as we thought he was really hungry. He's not sucking yet, so they fed him through his tube which gives him no way to tell us that he's done or isn't hungry. Consequently 10 minutes later, dad was wearing all 5 oz. After a few more feeding spat up and a very steadily unhappy baby through the night (he grunted and fussed from 9:00 pm to 4:00 am then all out cried from 4:00 am to 9:00 am... needless to say mom & dad are very tired) the doctors reduced and then eventually ordered a stop to feedings and ramped up his IVs instead. Through the day since then he's gotten less fussy, but has been visited by doctors, infectious disease specialists, pulmonologists, and rheumatologists and really hasn't slept much. He was able to sleep in short 15 or 20 minute intervals.

The doctors now seem to be focused on attempts to find a cause. The know he had a pulmonary hemorrhage (bleeding in his lungs) but do not know the cause. The rheumatologist told us pulmonary hemorrhages are very rare in infants (I think he said 1 in 100,000), the infectious disease specialist said there was a virus or two left to rule out that could cause this, and I cannot even remember all the things the pulmonologist listed; plus the haven't gotten the final virus cultures back. Basically, from what Julie and I can tell is that they have a list of things that can cause pulmonary hemorrhaging and they are going to work on ruling those things out until they find what caused it or we're left with nothing more to test for.

Tomorrow, Isaac is scheduled to at least get an echocardiogram (like a sonogram of your chest) and an arterial angio CT (they inject the dyes in your blood stream and look at your veins and arteries). Please pray that they results would show nothing serious and that Isaac won't get too stressed out on the day's activities. He is very tired now but is having a hard time finding rest. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. Words cannot describe how grateful Julie and I are to each and everyone of you for your kind words and thoughts.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I talked to mom and dad earlier today and they gave me a brief idea of what's been going on. I'm glad he got less fussy as the day went on.
I'm planning on visiting tomorrow, but I know he's got a busy day planned. If there's a better time to come or you want me to bring food, e-mail me.
I love you guys so much!
-Katie

Unknown said...

Still saying prayers, Julie and Kevin! I hope you can all get some rest tonight. Loving thoughts coming your way!! --Becky

Pam Terrell said...

Psalm 62:5 Find rest, O my soul, in God alone;my hope comes from him.6 He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.

Praying that you all can find rest for your souls AND your bodies tonight, wisdom for the medical staff, and strength for baby Isaac. Love you guys!
Pam

Unknown said...

It is encouraging that the doctors know what is wrong with Isaac, and it sounds like they are working hard to determine why. We hope everything goes well today and that everyone can get some rest. You are still in our prayers.

God bless,
Erin and Todd

Anonymous said...

Hi. We delivered Fin without any problems. Our internet was down last night and again this morning so we couldn't e-mail you and we thought you might be asleep this morning. Will call you later. We are both at work but Dad doesn't have his cell phone. If you need anything just call. Give Isaac a kiss from us. We love you so much. Mom

Unknown said...

Our family continues to pray for you guys every day. I pray for strength, comfort and rest for you and Julie as well as rest and healing for Mr. Isaac.

Love, Ryan and Erin

Anonymous said...

Hey guys it was so great to see you the past couple of days. We miss you already. Praying that everything goes well today and the rest of the week and we'll see you this weekend sometime. Kiss that sweet baby for us.

Love,
Jerid, Lizzi, Wyatt, Scooter and Penny

Anonymous said...

"For I will restore you to health
And I will heal you of your wounds,
declares the Lord" Jer. 30: 17

This post brings back memories, we understand. We're praying that you can all get some rest!

Melody/James Littlefield

Anonymous said...

Julie and Kevin,
We just wanted to know we are lifting you and Isaac up in prayer and will keep doing so. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you. Our thought and hearts are with you.
Love,
Karen and Dallis